Brief History




Situated 10 kilometers South-East of Jassy, in the village with the same name, The Barnova
Monastery was built between 1626 and 1666 by two pious founders, the Moldavian rulers Miron Barnovski and Eustratie Dabija, on the site of an old little wooden church, dating from 1603 and
having as patron the Great Saint Martyr George.


Beginning with 1663, when the Monastery was subordinated to the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, the
holy place was under the administration of the Greek monks for 200 years.


In 1728, Grigorie II Ghica built new stone houses, the surrounding wall with the defense towers, the crenels and the watchtower.


On the 15th of September 1863 the domains and the estate of Monastery were passed to the State, and Lady Daf1na's palace was turned into the school ofthe village and the parish house.


Between 1908 and 1945 it had the status of parish and later, from 1945 up to 1950 it was a Nunnery


Between 1950 and 1990 the Monastery functioned as parish and in July 1991 , the Metropolitan
Church of Moldavia and Bucovina reestablished it as a Monastery for monks.


At present the Monastery counts 13 persons living in God, observing the tradition of the religious services with the Seven Praises and the daily Holy Mass.